The American Cancer Society reports more than 30,000 people are diagnosed with oral or oropharyngeal cancer each year.
Almost 10,000 people die each year due to the disease.
Many factors increase your oral cancer risks:
- Tobacco use, including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chewing tobacco, and snuff
- Heavy alcohol use
- Excessive sun exposure to your lips
- Exposure to human papillomavirus (HPV)
- A weakened immune system
Unfortunately, the detection of most oral cancers happen in the late stages, so the death rate is high at 45% within five years of diagnosis. Consistent annual appointments are crucial to spotting the signs early.
We Know the Signs
The dentists at Mandarin Dental Care can diagnose oral cancer with an annual oral cancer exam and treat it when caught in the earliest stages.
Oral Cancer Exams
An oral cancer examination is a completely painless process.
We look for red, white, or pink patches on the floor of the mouth or the front or sides of the tongue that fail to heal. We also look for sores that bleed easily. These symptoms can be indicative of cancerous (pathologic) changes.
These lesions appear as raised, white or gray areas inside the mouth. We treat these lesions as they may be cancerous or become cancerous.
Another sign we look for is the general thickening of tissue, soreness, or lumps in the throat or mouth.
If you experience any of these symptoms, call us immediately for an examination.
- A lip or mouth sore that doesn't heal
- A white or red patch on the inside of your mouth
- Loose teeth
- A growth or lump inside your mouth
- Consistent mouth or ear pain
- Difficult or painful swallowing
No matter the diagnosis, you are in good hands
with our staff and doctors here at Mandarin Dental Care.
Flexible Payment Options For High-Quality Dental Care in Jacksonville
For your convenience, Mandarin Dental Care accepts:
- A wide range of PPO dental insurance plans
- Cash and check
- All major credit cards, including MasterCard, VISA, Discover, and more
We do NOT accept HMO or Medicaid plans.
No Insurance? We Have You Covered.
See how simple and affordable better oral health can be!